Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ponzi & Cooper Mountain

These are some of the purchases I made on Monday after stopping by Ponzi and Cooper Mountain Vineyards for a quick tasting. Both wineries are incredibly close to where I live, and on the way to Bob's, so it just made sense and I'm kind of surprised that I've been here for a full week and hadn't stopped in before! Of course, I didn't need to buy any wine...I could have just paid the tasting fee...but I really liked some of what I tasted and just couldn't resist (I'm finding that to be the case with a lot of the wines I'm tasting here). Between my trip over New Years and this last visit, I have now have purchased more Oregon wine than I can possibly drink before I head to back to Crete, so hopefully Bob will let me store it in his shop while I'm gone.

In addition to what is pictured above, I bought a bottle of Ponzi's 2009 Pinot Blanc (which came well-recommended by Ryan Reichart of Northwest Whites and which was, as he stated, delicious) and a faux ice wine from Cooper Mountain made of Pinot Gris, which I picked up for Bob because he likes stickies and this is a nice, well-balanced fruity one.

Pictured above are Ponzi's 2008 Pinot Noir, oaked 2008 Chardonnay, and 2008 Dolcetto (one of the first Dolcetto's I've seen here), and Cooper Mountain's 2008 Reserve Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris.

Ponzi dates back to 1970 and the family was among a small group of "pioneers" who began growing and producing high-quality wine in Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment