Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sunday, February 13

I stopped by A Blooming Hill to hang out with Holly in the tasting room for a few hours on Sunday, on my way back from Seattle. There was a couple of women there when I arrived, on their last taste, but it wasn't long after they left that another couple came along and Holly let me "take the helm".

Although I've poured at numerous wine events before, I still felt a little self-conscious since I've never done it in a tasting room, and in quarters as close as those (there have always been hundreds of people milling about and it has been a somewhat impersonal, detached experience).

The couple was very friendly, and became even more so as I proceeded to give them what turned out to be very generous pours. The whites all had pour measure thingies on them, designed to pour only one ounce, but it seemed to me that they often didn't stop at what appeared to me to be one ounce. The bottles of Pinot Noir had aerators attached, but no pour measures. Pretty sure I ended up giving them about three ounces of the first red! Anyway, by the time the last wine rolled around, I realized what I was doing and corrected myself, but not before my generosity had been remarked upon by the patrons. Holly humorously but graciously pointed out that she would be speaking to me about that later! I joked that now I understood why my table was always the most popular at my other wine events.

Will have to get my pour technique perfected for Newport!

No comments:

Post a Comment